Friday, November 19, 2010

Finding the Savior in Lamentations

I felt led to read through the book of Lamentations yesterday. And as I began reading, it was tempting to stop and move somewhere else because of the reality of destruction, exile, and guilt that the Jews were going through at the time. The Jews were cast into Babylonian captivity back in 586 BC because of their own willingness to serve idols rather than the living God:

"...she took no thought of her future; therefore her fall is terrible;" 1:9a

"The Lord is in the right, for I have rebelled against his word;" 1:18a
"Look, O LORD, for I am in distress; my stomach churns; my heart is wrung within me, because I have been very rebellious." 1:20a
"Your prophets have seen for you false and deceptive visions; they have not exposed your iniquity to restore your fortunes, but have seen for you oracles that are false and misleading." 2:14
"We have transgressed and rebelled," 3:42a

It wouldn't surprise me if Christians tend to skip over this particular portion of Scripture, not only because of the tone, but how could it be applied to them, hermeneutically speaking? I'm a firm believer than Christ can be preached from all Scripture, even Esther where "God" isn't mentioned verbatim but is present nonetheless. And since I've become adherent to the covenant theology perspective on the Bible, God's Word has become one big story when many applications to be drawn from the Old Testament. One big theme from the O.T. was the mass exodus from Egypt to the promised land: the Jews were in captivity under Pharaoh, God set them free, they wandered for years and years in the wilderness (because of unfaithfulness), and then the obtaining of the land. And throughout the O.T. you find the Jews slipping back into captivity, and then this process would repeat; Lamentations is an example.

The Jews thought no disaster would come upon them for worshiping idols, ignoring Jeremiah the prophet who warned them again and again and instead listened to other prophets who said, "Peace, peace" when in fact there was not. And in Lamentations we read the author vividly portraying his emotions and the turmoil that the Jews were presently in. The city was taken over and desolate; the people were afflicted and rejected; hope was no where to be found.

"All her people groan as they search for bread; they trade their treasures for good to revive their strength. 'Look, O LORD, and see, for I am despised.'" 1:11
Those of us living in Israel expanded (Jew and Gentile together) can see this theme still abiding in our day. We who were once in bondage to sin have been set free, and were are currently on an exodus to our promised land: heaven. Granted, we are not in captivity as the Jews were, but even as believers we still receive the discipline from the Lord when we go astray; this is what kept coming to mind as I was reading Lamentations. During those times when I was rebelling against the Lord, and I knew it, my inner being was crushed and the weight of offending my Savior caused my soul to be downcast. And it seems like now more than I used to, I recognize my sin and sinful patterns more and more. I've called aloud the same types of prayers:
"I called on your name, O LORD, from the depths of the pit; you heard my plea, 'Do not close your ear to my cry for help!' You came near when I called on you; you said, 'Do not fear!'" 3:55-57
We who are indwelled with the Holy Spirit know that God will never leave us nor forsake us; that He is forever good and faithful to His adopted children. We are called to test and examine our ways, and return to the Lord (3:40)! Though the Lord will not abandon us, at times it does seem as if our sins have separated us from God, since that the essence of what sin is: us desiring our own way rather than submitting to God and His Word. But our Lord and Savior is not far and hasn't ceased to be who He promised to be for us; and though we recognize that we must come before the throne daily and confess our straying from the Lord, we know that every time we humble ourselves under His mighty hand, He abundantly pardons. What a relief it is to rest in Jesus.

So be of good cheer, brothers and sisters in Christ: reading Lamentations should not get you depressed but cause you to be thankful for our great God and Savior Jesus Christ. We are in the wilderness waiting for a better homeland, but in the mean time we wait upon the Lord as the watchmen would wait for the morning. We cling to His Word, which guides us day and night. We humble ourselves in reliance upon Him in prayer. And though we will stray along the way, we spur one another on so that we all persevere and finish this race. Grace and peace.

No comments: