Monday, November 8, 2010

Be Ye Still

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:10
Kids have an extremely hard time sitting still. The past month I have had the opportunity to teach the 4th-6th grade Sunday School class, and I would've never imagined it being so difficult. Don't get me wrong: I love the kids and I've enjoyed teaching them, but getting them to sit still and pay attention was a difficult task; they were either getting up out their seat to run around, talking to someone while I'm talking, or just doodling on their paper when I'm going over a blank they need to fill in. I've found my patience tested because when I want to speak, they don't want to listen (sometimes). But this is not a post about unruly children, the aforementioned was only an illustration. In the miry bog of life, when all seems to be going wrong, I would much rather run around and try to find the solution myself than be still and know that God hasn't all of a sudden forfeited His sovereignty.


Psalm 46 was a song by the sons of Korah. They sang with the tune of God's ever-present help, being their ultimate refuge, strength, and fortress. They feared not, even with impending danger. Do you respond this way? Honestly I do...about half the time. Sometimes I do rest in God's providence, other times I question it, but even after questioning it He makes His presence known and I've returned to abiding in His Word. Faith: the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen (Heb. 11:1). Whenever our knees buckle or we shrink back to worry in the midst of a trial, we must blindly reach through to the unknown and grasp with the heart of faith that, for the children of God, He is 100% for them and is doing everything for our good and His glory. So the trial is clearly seen, but the providential hand of God is not, which is the supplement we need to get through.

I find myself like these kids: running to and fro not paying attention when what needs to grasped is right there in front of me. God's telling me something and I'm off doing something stupid...until I stop what I'm doing, my talking ceases, and I listen. I listen. His Word has been on constant shuffle in my mind, and I'm reading His Word with the Counselor jumping off the pages instructing me to calm down, shut up, and lay hold of who God is and what He may be trying to teach me. So with me strongly desiring a wife or to get this seminary degree, I must be still; know that He is God; and worship & exalt Him even when it seems as if He's forgotten me (which He never will).

"The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." Psalm 46:11

1 comment:

Talitha said...

It's hard to be still when that totally goes against our culture, bosses, and friends. I totally understand why we struggle so hard to hear God. In our world, the early bird gets the worm, the fastest runner wins the race...not so with God.