Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dadisms

I love my Dad. Over the years I've grown to love and appreciate him more and more, especially since I've left the nest and have gone to live on my own. Where I'd be in life without him, I could hardly imagine if I would've turned out the way I have. I'm forever grateful for times we get to hang out, whether its moving stuff in the house, going to visit Granny, etc. There's just something about father-son time that is hard to put in words, but it's the best feeling in the world.

Over time, I began picking up and doing things my Dad did. Here are but a few:

  1. Work ethic. My Dad worked all week growing up; even now with him being retired, he stays busy.
  2. Grunts. Whenever my Dad would reach down to pick up something, he'd let out a brace-yourself grunt...do this on occasion even when the object isn't heavy.
  3. Farting. Whenever he'd let one go, he'd look around the room puzzled and would jokingly wonder where that noise came from.
  4. People skills. I've watched him interact with his customers during the job; good habit to pick up.
  5. On occasion whenever he would get furious with his laptop for work, he'd let out a "DANGIT ALL." lol He would also talk to himself as he worked through the issue "Ok so I go here;" "trying to print;" etc.
  6. Chair recliners. How it's nice to lean back on that couch and take it easy. This will be an important buy in my first home.
  7. Coffee every morning. Took me a little while, but now I'm engulfed in coffee; though, I don't drink it black like him. yuck.
  8. Taking good care of possessions. "You treat your stuff better because you own it, but when something isn't yours, you aren't as careful."
  9. TV shows. "24" was the best series ever. Even when we weren't watching it together, we would turn the lights out and never answer the phone while it was on. If Mom came in the room, she would be silenced (because she knew it was the Bauer-hour not to be disturbed and wanted a reaction from us haha).
  10. He's a family man. Dad loves Mom very much, and cares very much for all his kids. I desire and Lord-willing I'll get an opportunity to have my own family to pass on this fatherly love.

1 comment:

B. Coleman said...

Awesome post. Man, I know exactly where you're coming from. It's a great thing to befriend your parents as you age. My dad and I weren't the closest when I was growing up, but we're extremely close now.

It's amazing how we do become our parents. I am definitely my father's son. I like the way that sounds too.

We're both big "people," people. He loves to engage strangers and now I do to.
He's a hard worker and endures a lot. I like to think of myself as a persistent, hard to kill joker. haha...especially when I set my mind on something.

He's faithful and a strong leader. I'd love to grow in these areas much more.

Families are amazing. God has blessed us, brother. We have what many people don't get with their earthly fathers. Like you said...the only way we can spread this kind of love is by being Godly fathers/men of faith as well. I'm excited at the challenge!