Friday, June 11, 2010

Here It Comes


So this coming up Sunday I will begin teaching the adult Sunday school class at Kirk 'O the Isles. This opportunity came as a surprise to me after a morning service a couple months ago. Someone came up to me and said, "Travis we're really excited about you teaching this summer." I'm thinking: I am? As it turns out, Pastor Neil granted to me this summer to teach--to get my gifts looked at by the church, and to hopefully edify and exhort the congregation.


My first topic of the summer will be "Justification,"  and this will take about 5-6 weeks. The latter part of the summer I will be doing a book study, using Thabiti Anyabwile's What is a Healthy Church Member? Thabiti, a pastor in the Grand Cayman Islands, goes through 10 essential traits that every church member should have and be growing in.

If you've read or have heard of Mark Dever's What is a Healthy Church, these two coincide with each other: Dever addresses the church's responsibilities while Thabiti focuses on the individual believer and how they keep the church accountable. Going through Thabiti's book, Lord willing, will take me 5 Sundays, and so I am praying for God to use me as I bring forth truth. Pray for me, that God will humble me during my studies, and that God would speak through me to His people.

No comments: