Monday, April 26, 2010

So Long Childhood, Hello Manhood


Proverbs 20:29 "The glory of young men is their strength, but the splendor of old men is their gray hair."
     I can remember vividly the first moment I saw a gray hair sprouted from my scalp, I was about 16; it was right in the front, though a needle in a haystack, the light beamed off of it to show it's presence. Since my hair is black is wasn't that hard to notice, but it did come as a shock: "I'm not supposed to get these until I'm older; what's the deal?" Fast forward to today, almost 23, more and more have sprouted along the sides and it's no longer hidden: T-rav's clearly got miniature patches of grays. In this particular proverb, Solomon shows the difference between the delights of a young man versus an older one: physical strength versus applied knowledge.



1) The Young Man
     While bodily training is profitable and isn't essentially sinful (1 Tim. 4:7-8), the young man takes more pride in his strength and endurance rather than wisdom. Granted, he hasn't experienced life all that long, and so he thinks his main achievement is to be fit rather than be wise. A young man has much strength: his bones, muscles, and mental capacity to push himself are very strong. Again, this is no bad thing, but if he truly desires to be significant and useful (for the Lord's sake and for the Church), physical strength will only go so far. He must recognize the truth that his strength will later deteriorate and his 6-pack abs will morph into a stomach resembling a 6-pack of beer. The act of exercising and disciplined eating habits do not contribute to godliness, which Solomon and Paul agree. One day this young man must have a different priority: to learn, study, and exercise knowledge leading to wisdom, which leads to holiness.

     Look at these two words: glory and splendor. The picture of Isaiah before the throne of God in Isaiah 6 comes to mind when I think of him humbling himself, recognizing his sinfulness before a holy God. The majesty of God, the train of His robe filling the entire temple, made him feel utterly worthless. Yes, Michael Phelps has the body and strength that any athlete or wishful one would desire--and people think: "That is glorious; look at his tone and shape...just glorious." The young man has not the answers of life, only how to eat right and how to look good. The older man gives you something that will never deteriorate: life application. Many young men scoff at the old and ignore them, thinking they are just grumpy folks with idle minds; they ignore their own parents, thinking somehow they are foolish and do not know how the world works--and to no surprise they say the same of God, too.

2) The Wise Man
     The older man's wisdom is his splendor. Isn't it interesting when an older man speaks wisdom into a situation, a different kind of awe is present. These men know what life is all about, and what is beyond the childhood glory. These men have met countless hardships and difficulties, carried many burdens, and have undergone much humbling. (To be honest, I feel as though my insight into this area is rather shallow, since I myself seem to be far from a wise man). When a man tells you he lost his wife of 50 years, you're going to hear something much different than a 15 year old boy who just broke up with his girlfriend of 2 months. When an older man tells you to do something, even if you rebel, you recognize their authority over you by them just giving a command. Never in my life have I ever had to tell my earthly father: you were wrong about this one, Dad. I've yet to tell my pastor: Neil, I think I'd rather choose this road instead. I never once questioned my grandfather, and I wish I could go back and ask Papa so many things. Yet, Jesus Christ became flesh and partook of the same nature as me, to condemn sin in the flesh, to die for me and ransom me, tempted just as I am today but stayed sinless, I question all the time: "Jesus I don't have this in my life, so I will go find it on my terms, on my own accord." How grievous this cosmic treason is. The older men contribute what is of utmost importance in this world: godliness; holiness; blamelessness.

Application
     Why did all this come to mind? I was dwelling on my immaturity last night, and I'm tired of wasting my life. I'm exhausted from looking horizontally for satisfaction: my physical endurance (or, lack thereof), my social standing, and my emotional wants. All these things have their place, but if God isn't preeminent these things are idols. I want a toned body to get looks; I want people to know me that I may feel good about myself; I want to get my life settled and grow up to get a wife who will help balance me out--but if I'm desiring these more than the God who ransomed me, I will be empty. I cannot honestly say with Asaph that "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26). Oh Lord grant me forgiveness for abandoning you for these broken cisterns. May I treasure you above all else, counting all things rubbish that I may gain Christ and be found in you (Phil. 3:7-10).

**Young man, is physical strength your idol? Do you neglect that which leads to godliness--wisdom?
**Older man, do you avail yourself to young men to disperse your wisdom?

The Church needs men, so stop being little boys wasting your days in vain things; I'm speaking to myself, too. If older men do not disciple and reproduce godly men, this world will be in peril before you know it.

No comments: